10 Fun Wedding Reception Ideas Your Guests Will Love
Your wedding reception is a time to celebrate the new union with all of your favorite people. If you’re reading this, we’re guessing you want to make your wedding reception as fun as possible for you and your guests. We’ve gone ahead and collected 10 really fun wedding reception ideas that are guaranteed to get your party going! Pick your favorites and incorporate them into your reception for an evening your guests will never forget.
1. A Dance for All Get everybody on the dance floor by hiring a dance instructor give a brief dance lesson! Maybe you have a dance you can tie in with your love story, or with your background? Pick an easy, fun dance that all of your guests can do together for an entertaining (and potentially hilarious) time.
2. Lounge It Out Designate a lounge area in your reception space that’s separate from the dinner tables and the dance floor. Bring in comfortable sofas, chairs, and tables to create an area where guests can relax and mingle! Not to mention the lounge would be the perfect place to fit in the bar, or a fun drink station.
3. The Story of Us And by “us” we mean everyone. Frame photos that illustrate your own love story, labeling the important moments in your relationship (first date, first kiss, proposal, etc.) before displaying them in your reception venue. Extend the storyboard to your guests by asking them to send in a photo from their weddings and a short blurb on how they met. Frame these photos and display them at your wedding, too! This cute, sentimental idea is guaranteed to make your family and friends feel extra special.
4. Games, Games, and More Games Channel your inner kid! Games are an easy way to add some entertainment to your wedding reception. Games are especially perfect for summer weddings out on the lawn where there is plenty of space for friends and family to run, toss, catch, and bond! Whether it’s bocce ball, mini golf, horseshoe, or giant Jenga, games will liven up your wedding day and give guests something else to do.
5. Keep the Kids Happy If you’re hosting younger guests at your wedding, you definitely need to think about how you’re going to keep them entertained. Keeping the kids occupied and having fun can be the key to the parents at the party having fun as well. Set aside a kids-only station equipped with fun activities—crayons and coloring pages, bowls of candy, board games, and glow sticks! If you’re willing to shell out some cash, hire a babysitter to keep watch over the area.
6. #YourWedding Ask your guests to help capture moments from your wedding by encouraging them to tag their Instagram photos with a specific hashtag. This one is a must-do for couples hosting a young, social crowd. Be sure to note the hashtag on a big, noticeable sign, and then just wait for the images to flood in!
7. Dining as Family Family style dining is definitely a trend that has been blooming this wedding season. A fantastic way to get guests to interact during the dinner, family style is the way to go if you’re looking for a fun, alternative way to serve food at your wedding reception. This casually elegant style is both intimate and often more affordable than plated meals!
8. The Date Jar If you’re looking for a cute, creative, and interactive idea for your guest book, look no further than the date jar. All you need is a table, a sign, a jar or a box, and something for guests to write their best date ideas on! We’ve seen Popsicle sticks, stones, mini scrolls—you name it. Alternatively, you can ask guests to write their best wishes instead of date ideas for a more sentimental touch.
9. Late Night Munchies After a night of dancing, your guests are bound to be tired and hungry. Top off the evening with tasty treats from a food truck of your choice to keep your guests (and their bellies) happy! Keep it simple with comfort food favorites like burgers and hot dogs or sweets like ice cream and donuts.
10. The Epic Lantern Send-Off This is the picture-perfect movie moment you’ve been waiting for! Search for biodegradable paper lanterns to float into the night sky for the ultimate send-off. Make it extra sweet by having guests write their best wishes for you and your partner before the release. The lanterns create an absolutely amazing visual effect that will leave you and your guests in wonder. Just be sure to clear it with your venue.