10 Fun, Fast DIY Wedding Backdrop Ideas
When it comes to adding some creative spark to your wedding day, a simple and inexpensive way to show off your personal style is to create a unique backdrop. If you’re feeling crafty, there are plenty of pretty, Pinterest-worthy projects you can easily recreate in an afternoon to make your ceremony photos pop. At the reception, the backdrop can double as a fun photo booth station for your guests—a fantastic way for them to remember your fabulous party!Whether you display it as a frame for your vows, as a photo shoot backdrop for the reception, or as an extra-delicious scene setter for your cake table, these fun and fast do-it-yourself wedding backdrop ideas are totally doable (even for you, DIY-challenged brides!) and will definitely add some whimsy to your big day.
1. Fringe Benefits Metallics look great with any color scheme and add a touch of luxury to any party. Layer inexpensive foil fringe or spray painted plastic tablecloths to create a visually stunning (not to mention glittery!) scene for for festive photos. Not only is the fringe a quick and easy backdrop that looks great, but it easily becomes a simple job for an aunt or friend that desperately wants to help out. Different types of fabric, ribbon, crepe paper and even yarn will also create a unique look without adding to your wedding’s budget.
2. Drink Up Straws can be used for more than sipping a signature cocktail. For an amazingly simple DIY project, thread yarn through clear or white straws, then spray paint with colors that complement your wedding scheme. Artfully layered together, they create a fun scene and add color to a plain wall.
3. Love is Sweet Who knew that your baking addiction could translate into a deliciously easy and gorgeous backdrop? Cupcake liners are easily purchased in a variety of colors and patterns, and are usually cheaper in bulk. Layer them in a pattern - or even at random - for a unique effect. Or string them up using yarn or fishing line for a soft cascade of color.
4. (Paper) Chain of LoveYou’ve been making them since kindergarten, but who knew they could look so elegant? Making loops out of paper and hanging them to create an artful background means your wedding photos will be absolutely charming. Whether you choose monochromatic tones or a rainbow of color, you can create this backdrop yourself in just a few hours.
5. Tulle Death Do Us Part Elegant and romantic, tulle of any color adds a softness to your wedding decor. Best of all, tulle looks delightful in basically any setting and can be customized to match any theme. Hang it in delicate layers behind your dessert table or add lights for a whimsical, playful look!
6. A Marshmallow World If you’re having a winter wedding - or are just a kid at heart - a backdrop of little marshmallows can work as a surprisingly captivating display. Try framing a hot chocolate or coffee bar with these fluffy curtains to add a sweet touch. Now, just try to keep your little guests from gobbling these up!
7. Door To A New Life Together Plenty of DIY projects show old doors transformed into gorgeous new pieces. A wedding day door project will be no less stunning. A symbol of new beginnings, doors can add a creative and romantic backdrop for photos of you and your guests. To add a more rustic and personal touch, frame the doors with simple bundles of flowers or hang a charming wreath and sign.
8. Hearts On Fire Your wedding is celebrating a pretty epic love, after all, so why not create a heart backdrop to commemorate the day? Beautiful backdrops made from tissue paper, wood and even napkins make a memorable day even more lovely.
9. Layers of Love Nearly any of the DIY backdrops in this post can be recreated in an ombre color scheme. Tulle, tissue paper, fringe, or fabric can all create a waterfall effect that looks unforgettable in photos. The ombre effect allows you some flexibility to include many different colors from your wedding scheme. Try to stay in the same color family—choosing all cool colors or all warm—to avoid a rainbow effect. Unless, of course, that’s what you’re going for! Starting from white and blending into one color looks great with many different colors and gives the backdrop a cohesive look.
10. Pristine Green Whether your wedding vision involves an enchanted fairytale in an English garden or a barefoot boho soiree, natural backdrops are a beautifully, lush way to capture the moments of your big day. From succulents to classic roses and vines, greenery of all sorts can provide a lively, refreshing background for your vows. Fragrant and gorgeous!